The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants has nothing on this sisterhood.
The women who market vibrators and other sex toys are passionate about empowering female sexuality. They may be competitors in the retail world, but they have a shared mission: to bring women quality products that enhance our sex lives--and sometimes rock our worlds. A vibe is not just a sex toy; it's your erotic magic carpet ride. (That's why I'm always sending you to Babeland to shop.) Nobody knows that better than the purveyors of those toys.
Claire Cavanah, the Manhattan-based co-owner of Babeland, told me: "A manufacturer of high quality luxury vibes said he gives Babeland credit for creating that market. I'm proud we have played a role in expanding what was a limited toy market to give women the kinds of toys they want to explore their own sexuality."
Claire and her partner Rachel Venning opened their first toy shop in 1993 "in response to a lack of woman-friendly sex toy stores." Twenty-five years ago, our toy options were indeed limited. Last week, Dana Braverman Myers, co-owner with her husband Charlie, of Booty Parlor, told me about her first vibe shopping experience when she was a college freshman.
"Walking into a sleazy sex shop was part, 'Oh, wow, these toys exist!' and part "Ewwww.' I grabbed a basic slim line vibe, paid for it and got out of there."
The little vibe initiated her into the joys of solo sex. Rather than looking for a guy to give her an orgasm, she gave them to herself. The vibe kept her from making the foolish boy choices too many girls do make at eighteen.
Mamas, when you have The Sex Talk with daughters, please tell them that vibes are both safe and satisfying.
Dana led her girlfriends on sex toy shopping expeditions. Eventually she combined her sexual missionary zeal with her love of beauty products to create Booty Parlor, the ultimate in home sex toy parties. My favorite of Dana's line of luscious products: Don't Stop Massage Candle. This amazing candle melts at body temperature; and does double duty as romantic lighting and massage oil.
Here's my simple Sex Tip of the Day: Light His Fire
- Light the candle. Tell your man to lie back and enjoy the aprhrodisiac fragrance while you kiss and caress him.
- Once he has a hard erection, drizzle some of the warm oil from the candle onto his nipples. Use your thumbs in circular motion to massage them.
- Tweak and nibble his nipples as you drizzle warm oil at the base of his penis.
- Lace your fingers together, holding his penis lightly inside them; and use your thumbs (dipped in the oil) to massage in upward strokes on the sensitive underside of his penis from base to head.
- Oil your fingers and give him a hand job.